Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tunes of heart

Anurag bought this new MP3 player and after downloading all our collection from 'My Music' on our notebook , he hooked it up with our home theater system. Some upbeat hindi tunes got Avi and Neev shaking their legs on Bollywood's balle balle. And then in between this other song started playing which I recall from 'Sangeet ceremony' of my wedding. Its hard to describe what burst of emotions some tunes can bring. With me it has always been very emotional listening to Hindi songs (of my time in India ) in this country. I still remember when I first unpacked my bags in United States and stacked a few cassettes and music CD's that I brought with me. That evening when Anurag got back from work and we sat in bed listening to some of those, I started missing home terribly, tears rolling and wetting my arms which I folded on my tucked knees. It was snowing outside and I couldn't say it was pretty. After I could take it no longer, I got up and turned it off. I was new here but not newly away from my family. I left home to study at the age of 16 yrs. and I recognized homesickness. This was different..........more intense. I couldn't say if it was the distance or the dark which set at mere 4'o clock every afternoon but I stopped listening to Hindi songs after that. After a few months/years, I heard some new ones (thanks to Sundeep and Poonam who always made the CD's for us), and it did not feel so bad. Given my penchant for dancing, I love catchy dance numbers and now my two music lover boys give me company so I have an okay collection of those. But the tunes of my age and of my heart still quaver the strings within. They are the flash-backs of my life about the people I love, the moments which shaped me, events that permutated me........................and more!

2 comments:

Himagauri said...

hey neels... telepathy... i hv written smthing similar.. hvn't posted that yet... its abt musical nostalgia... and how a certain song/tune wud carry us to those times... for eg whenever i hear sacrifice/anotehr day in paradise/mysterious girl/careless whisper, it takes me to good old 'abhijat' days... i m sure , u share the same feelings...

Neelu Pandey said...

I totally know this one Gauri. Post yours ....it would be nice to read.