Saturday, September 20, 2008

Steel Magnolias

For the last few weeks I've been a part of Orange County Theater Company, involved in stage management of 'Steel Magnolias'. For those who are not familiar with the name, its an Oscar nominated movie of 1989, original screenplay by Robert Harling, directed by Herbert Ross, featuring Julia Robers, Sally Field, Darryl Hannah, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLain and Olympia Dukakis. OCTC Director Hunter Dion is bringing 'Steel Magnolias' to the stage in Irvine on October 4th, 11th and 18th. I have the pleasure and opportunity to be a part of this drama. The cast is fantastic and very talented. Carine is playing Shelby, Dayna -Truvy, Tracy - M'Lynn, Alba -Clairee ,Tina - Ouiser and Ashley -Annelle. Carine brings 15 years of acting experience with her which totally shows when she is at work. Tracy is also playing M'Lynn in real life to her 13 year old daughter so she does not really have to 'Act' - it all comes pretty naturally to her. Alba has the composure and grace which is needed to play Clairee. Dayna is every bit chirpy, energetic and good natured as Truvy. Ashley, a versatile & talented young actress has just stepped in Annelle's shoes and is up and running in them already. And what can I say about Tina- you just have to see the rehearsals to realize that Tina in real life is funnier than Ouiser Boudreaux. She is the reason that we are laughing all the time. All together these ladies delightfully portray the loquacious belles of South.

Hunter has given all of us nicknames. Carine - Ricochet, Alba-Tequila, Tina- Lola Bola, Tracy - Spacy, Dayna - Dana Point ,Ashley- Mimi. In the beginning he told me about it and I thought it was really interesting. Since he's worked with most of them in the past so may be there is a story behind every nickname. When he graciously agreed to let me be part of the crew, I got on his mailing list and started receiving emails. It wasn't me who noticed it...it was Anurag ....who said that Hunter has nicknamed me 'Star Trek Girl'. So I am the Lieutenant of my crew.

Personally this experience has been more than just entertainment to me. Hunter has been very encouraging and understanding. Thanks to him -I am beginning to get a grasp on nuances of Theater operation. I can't wait for the show to open so I can test my skills.

Here is a video that Hunter made from the rehearsals.You can catch a glimpse of me towards the end :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your write up "star trek girl" the cast is having a blast. what an amazing group of ladies. i hope everyone in the OC can see this show.

Himagauri said...

hey neels.. thats a super-duper cool thing... way to go, baby... hv a blast...am so proud...