Saturday, June 7, 2008

Avi and Bandages

It all started when Avi was about 18 months old. An enthusiast toddler , excited by wonders of life around him ,ran to catch a bird and fell on the ground. It was nothing really , just a minor scrape but it was his first one and I was hurting more than him. So I picked him up, hurried home, washed it with an antiseptic and covered his boo-boo with a bandage. Don't know what made him feel better, my endless kisses, his lovey or the bandage but he calmed down. Since then Avi and bandages have become friends. Any little scrape or a cut, even the tiniest one which is invisible to my eyes has to be covered with a bandage or Avi's screams would make my neighbors think that I may be torturing him. I mean seriously, more than the hurt my denying of a bandage can drive this child to such pain that manifests into shrieks of highest degrees. So I learnt my lesson and instead of trying to make him a 'man' by shrugging his boo-boo off, I stocked up on bandages, all kinds of them (who knew there were different shapes and sizes and all kinds of cartoon characters) because I go thru' them just as quickly as milk in my house. Quite honestly I don't mind the placebo effect it has. It saves me from lecturing him on how he should be 'tough" because really I don't want to waste in on scrapes and cuts.

No comments: