Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Cherry Pit

As a mother one of the things that fills your heart is to watch your children doing something for the very first time, mastering something or simply trying a new task. I try not to miss those 'firsts'. This is about one of those.

So far Avi has been eating cherries in a way I found frustrating. I just told him once to be careful with the pits. As a result the cherries were bitten from around the pit like a mouse has nibbled on them. Almost half of the cherries would waste like that and if there is one thing I dislike , is to waste food so I tried many times to show him how he could nibble on cherries and then roll them in the mouth to spit a clean pit. So finally my boy decided to give it a try. He rolled the cherry in his mouth for almost 15 minutes and then came running to me with the cleanest pit I've ever seen. "Mommy, look, I did it. Here is the pit............"He said excitedly . And he finished the sentence with his usual "look how big I am Mommy !"

My Gosh, I live for that gleam in his eyes , that pure smile , that pride he takes in his independent actions. And for some reason, I feel like I did something big too........I taught him to eat cherries without swallowing the pits.

No comments: