Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Busy week, weekend and a great coincidence

This past week and weekend passed by like it never came. In a way I like it that I don’t have to think about keeping the kids entertained. If the calendar is full, all I have to do is be their chauffeur. On Tuesday we went to Mariner’s for Bubble day. It was great fun for the kids. Big bubbles, small bubbles, blowing bubbles, popping bubbles –whatever most you can do with bubbles. They also enjoyed the bubbly view from the top floor where it was cooler. Avi kept telling Neev not to crawl towards the gate and Neev was not happy being commanded by Avi. Avi likes to always look out for Neev which is good for me (since he is alarming me every time he catches Neev near the trash or toilet which are seemingly two of Neev’s favorite things ) but not so great for Neev since he constantly hears ‘NO NEEV NO’ from his big brother and finds it very constraining –obviously. As a result, anytime Avi calls out his name , Neev has this scowl on his face like ‘I know you are calling my name and I know it can’t be good” :)

Wednesday was my big laundry day (its one of the chores I don’t mind so much). Thursday I drove the kids to Balboa Beach where we were joined by other friends. Avi did not go in water but had fun digging sand and collecting sea shells with his friends. It was Neev who did most experimenting with sand. It was delightful to watch him as he scooped sand in his fists and then let it fall. He bent himself in sitting position and stretch as far as he could and then gathered sand. He liked to use his hands and feet than the shovel. He reminded me so much of Avi when he had his first taste of sand at 7 months and then I hoped that they don’t grow up and grow out of pastoral pleasures of life, not too soon anyway.

Friday night we went to the Great Park for Salsa Dance Party. Unfortunately for me Avi was more interested in playing with his friends and watching the hot air balloon than shaking his booty. I still managed to stay awhile and watch people groove (combining two of my favorite things ). When Neev and I were walking around , I noticed the board of the Great Park. It’s catch line ‘one park for everyone’ was written in many languages which represent the cultural mix of Orange County. And there it was ‘ek park sabke liye’ written in Hindi. Felt good. I took a picture.

Saturday we went to a birthday party and kids had a blast with “Winnie the Pooh”. Saturday evening we went to Mandir to celebrate Janmashtami (Lord Krishna’s b’day). Sunday we had a potluck barbecue party at the pool after which Avi and Neev took a long late afternoon nap – usually not so good for Sunday evening when we try to wind down early but this Sunday it proved to be the best thing. At 7 PM my Uncle called from Sydney to tell me that My dad’s cousin and his family were visiting somewhere close to our place and passed his no. When I called him up , he happened to be staying next to the same beach I drove the kids on Wednesday (Balboa). He was leaving the next day for India. I was super excited. After a quick dinner we drove down to see them. The last I had seen them was some 13-14 years ago. We spent a lovely evening with them and took a late night walk on the pier. It was great to catch up with them and a great way to end my week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a busy weekend..glad it was fun! How awesome you got to see some family..glad you got the chance.

Vikas Badak said...

I am that uncle that Neel and family met at the Balboa. It was super great meeting Anurag, Neelu and the kids. I last remember meeting Anurag some 15 years back at the Jaipur Railway station when he had come to drop Neelu all the way from Lucknow. It was a fleeting crossing of paths. Neelu had introduced him as a classmate and that was it. Later, it turned out to be that he was poised to be Neelu's life mate. Good for her. If Anurag is a lucky fella of geeting Neelu as a life partner, I think Neelu is luckier.

When we (my wife and I) met Anurag this weekend he came across to be a very polite, well meaning and a thorough gentleman. You know the kind - every mother's ideal son-in-law.

I was told that they live in one of the best neighborhood in CA. We missed going over to their house. I have only one expression of the place they live. If there is anything that comes close to being the heaven, that’s it, that’s it.
We wish Anurag, Neelu, Avi and Neev the very best in life.

Himagauri said...

neels, sounded great... btw, why did u chose walk with neev instea of salsa with anurag ?