Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back seat Driving

I have a back seat driver in my car. If you guessed my husband (usually is in most women's cases), sorry ! Its my 3.9 years old boy. Okay, so I have been sneaking a bit of driving wisdom while telling him about stop sign rules, slowing down on yellow light at the intersection and watching out for Pedestrian etc. (Just so he would imbibe it and it may come handy 13 years later when he starts learning driving ). I did not think he was paying much attention to it until recently when HE HAS  started giving me lessons on good driving.

While driving to drop him off at the preschool (8.15 AM) I reached for my insulated chai cup to take a sip and he said, 'that's a distraction Mommy, you should not do that when you are driving".

The other day I reached for my overhead sunglasses holder and fumbled to pull my shades and he said, "Mommy you should have both your hands on the steering wheel".

Another time I was the victim of bad timing judgement on my part and braked rather hard  when yellow light turned into red at the intersection (don't we all go thru' that- between slowing down/speeding up on yellow light sometimes) and he said.,"that was not very smooth Mommy , you should not do that" (that one was as cute as it was annoying and in that moment all I said was , "Uh Huh" ).

And today when I went to pick up Anurag from his office, I pulled up in the 'disabled parking spot' for just a minute. This owes an explanation -Anurag was already there at the office gate and I needed to spend just 10 seconds to change spots (Anurag prefers driving himself when he is in the car). To my son, time was not the matter, the matter was that I broke a rule. He said, "Mommy please don't do that again, that spot is for wheelchair people". Yes, he noticed the sign.   

And in the evening when I got ready to go to the rehearsal, he said "Bye Mommy , drive safe". 

No comments: