Friday, July 23, 2021

Thinking of my Baba today

So thankful for the link my Baba (grandfather) created between me and his grandfather Dr. Makund Ram Sharma by reciting his writings ( and other poets’) and sowing the seeds for appreciation of poetry! 

Dr. Makund Ram Sharma was a doctor, poet, and social reformer. I am not sure of the exact year of his birth but I guess it to be early1860's. He died in 1941. My Baba was upset that he passed away just a few days before the birth of his first great-grandson, my father. Many of his poetries included a mix of Hindi, Urdu, and even English because he did not feel bound by any rules when it came to speaking his mind. When he needed to say something, he used whichever words conveyed his thoughts and ideas. HIs 'Takiya Kalam' (signature) was 'मुहकिक'' which means 'seeker of the truth'. This probably was the purpose of his life which he passed on to his grandson, my grandfather, by naming him 'Satya'  (truth). The influence Dr. Makund Ram Sharma had on his grandson reflected in the way he carried out his life, living up to the meaning of his name all the way.

Just the other day in an interesting discussion with friends I got reminded of this one by him- 


Atoms with energy, हर जिस्म ख़ाक शामिल
हर लम्हा ये बदलते, तुम देखो या ना देखो
कुछ ज़र्रे होते दाखिल , कुछ ज़र्रे होते ख़ारिज 
करते अजब करिश्मे, तुम देखो या ना  देखो 
ताक़त मिली जुली है, मुफरित नहीं 'मुहकिक''
हम रूह इसको कहते, तुम देखो या ना  देखो 


Meanings - 
जिस्म - Body 
ख़ाक - Earth /Dirt/Soil
शामिल - Included /Inclusive
लम्हा - Moment
ज़र्रे  - Very small particles /atom
दाखिल - Enter
ख़ारिज  - Dismiss
करिश्मे - Wonders
ताक़त - Strength
मिली जुली - All together
मुफरित - Separate
मुहकिक - Seeker of truth 
रूह - Soul

❤

No comments: