Thursday, November 21, 2013

Neev's first Indian Classical Music Recital

This past Saturday on Nov 16th my 6 years old had his first Hindustani Classical Music Recital. He started learning classical around 4 months back and according to his teacher he is blessed with a sweet voice. I think both my children have the sweetest voices and they both can carry a tune. Family genes deserve a credit here ! I learnt Teen Taal on my little palms from my grandmother and Kaharwa Taal on Tabla from my father. My mother-in-law plays Sitar. She and my father are wonderful singers.  So it makes sense for the kids to have a little bit of it in them :)  One of the regrets of my life would always be to not continue my music and Kathak training beyond elementary years, however music and dance would always remain as a source of joy to me. Thankfully my children inherit that love for music and enjoy learning it. This would be Avi's fourth year on Piano. He experimented with Viola in second grade and is quite enjoying playing flute in his school band this year. Neev started with drum lessons and Hindustani classical few months back and even though practicing anything at home with him is challenging , I am happy to see him having a good time in the classes.
We all love our children !! You can see that expression everywhere. During recital when the young singers performed with apprehension, trembling fingers on keyboard, tiny hands trying to hold microphones not knowing whether it was at the right distance from their lips, their proud and encouraging mothers mouthed Raagas that they made their little ones practice at home and by doing so learnt every Sur, Aroh. Avroh and notations of Bhajans. Their eyes fixated on their children , lips synching with their delicious voices, all this while capturing the memory in iPhone. That was a fine fine expression of love ! I was there and I was one of them, watching my beautiful baby sing Raag Bhopali and a Bhajan based on it. Way to go my precious !!

No comments: