Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Karvachauth 2013

If you have been keeping up with my blog then you probably know that Karvachauth is my THING and despite the festival falling on the weekday this year, I had gathering of about 50 people at my house which was decorated with dupattas and karwas among other things. A friend decorated a beautiful thali for me by spreading ghee on it, sprinkling kumkum and then drawing free hand design. It looked so pretty with tea lights glimmering inside it. We did Puja, put mehendi on our hands and grooved to Bollywood songs. Moon finally showed up at around 10 PM and the ladies broke the fast to enjoy delicious potluck dinner. When I posted pictures on Facebook, a friend commented on how over the top we celebrated this tradition. I guess we live so far away from home and miss it , the sentiments reflect in the efforts to expose the younger generation to our rituals and of course we have the blast while doing it

No comments: