Thursday, June 27, 2013

Over a period of time we have made a lot of healthy changes to our diet, switching to many organic dairy foods and including more vegetables , fruits and whole grains on our platter . I had been feeling happy about cooking fresh meals for my family and making better choices of foods in general. However, when it comes to exercising, other than occasional walks , I haven't really done anything concrete in a long time (In fact I really started to talk myself into feeling comfortable with whatever weight I am on ). My husband on the other hand has been very disciplined these past few months about his workout regimen . He has never had a weight problem and is usually very good about his diet - choices and control both. And yet he is striving to do better with his overall health.  After long 9 years today was a small start of something that hopefully will turn into a regular regimen of workouts for me. Inspiration from my husband and motivation from a friend got me out walking on the sidewalks of my block (more like periodically jogging to catch up with my friend's brisk walking). Boy oh boy was I in for surprises ! For such a long time I told myself that I could start an exercise program anytime I wanted to, without any drama of "America's biggest loser' . As I lay in the bed tonight and feel the burn ...... big time, its dawning on me that if I want this to work for me, I need to have more respect for that show ! They say no pain, no gain so I am deciding to live with the pain until the gain shows up......somewhere.
The feeling after the workout though is exactly the same as I remember it. Its nothing less than meditation  if you could just be silent for a few minutes after pumping your heart a bit and try to focus on its rhythm. Invigorating and calming at the same time ! No wonder exercise is an alternative for Xanax.
The dinner I fixed us tonight was Parathas and potato curry. After realizing how hard I had to work to burn so little, I did not feel like getting myself a dinner plate. Instead I rummaged through the fridge, lucky to find some lettuce, carrots and oranges but I was out of my favorite mango poppy seeds dressing.  So here is what I did - cut oranges into little pieces, sliced the carrots and broke some lettuce leaves. Added a teaspoon of lime juice, raw turbinado sugar and a pinch of sea salt (it was delicious I tell you, without any extra calories of the dressing) . Gobbled a big bowl of it and not feeling guilty. I don't know how tomorrow will turn out to be but today deserves to be bragged about :)

No comments: