Thursday, July 7, 2011

Discussions of a fairy tale and more

This post is from last year and was in 'draft' . A conversation with Avi - 




Avi loves Mythology and a few days ago we talked about Hindu Mythology a bit. This is just an example of how my five and a half year old's thought process works.

While reading Cinderella's fairy tale Avi's questions led to the concept of death, step mother and so on. This is how our conversation unfolded -

Avi - Am I going to have a step mother when you die?

Me - Well I hope I don't die too soon because I want to raise you and take care of you.

Avi- But what if you do?

Me - Umm.....I don't know , may be. You see, all step mothers are not like Cinderella's step mother. Besides If I die when you are all grown up and have a family of your own, Daddy might be very lonely and need company so he may decide to get married again. 

Avi (thinking and nodding ) - Well, if the Hindu mythology were to be true , then that thing you told me about will leave your body and come back to earth in some other form (here he is referring to the 'spirit' as 'that thing' because he can't remember the name), so you would still be here. 

Me (not sure how to steer the conversation or if I should at all and marveling at his thought process) - Well, I guess in a way but since I will not have the same body, you won't recognize me.

Avi - That's okay, as long as you will be around.

Me (nodding and sighing ) - yeah !


I did not make effort to prolong the conversation with my sweet little child who absorbs things like a sponge.  

1 comment:

cageddragon said...

They really do absorb alot. Seriously, that hit home. Children are so precious sometimes.