Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My children ....updated

Neev is almost 18 months old now and Avi will be 4 years old in couple of months. I can't help myself gushing over the moments when they are playing together. There are times when I hide behind the door to catch them pouring affection on each other . These are the moments when I usually have my hands on my lips and my heart going.....o....o......h ! Its adorable how Avi is willing to share his lovies (his blanket and little lamb) with Neev first thing in the morning. He would come to my bed and we would sing our good morning song. He would attempt to snuggle with Neev which usually would result in Neev resisting and at some point end in banging his head with some body part of Avi. Yep, its not always hunky dory but nonetheless, its precious in its own way. Sometimes they would fight for the same toy and for my attention at the same time but it is still fun to see the dynamics. If I try to discipline Neev, Avi would be like 'Mommy please don't talk to him in that tone, he is just a baby'. And the next moment I would overhear from kitchen that Avi is totally bossing Neev and saying the same things to him that he requested me not to say to his brother. 

Neev is this adorable toddler who has a mind of his own . When we go out for walks, you can't make this little man go your way unless you want to pick him up. He wants to play 'follow the leader' with his never ending turn of being the leader. We have tried saying 'bye bye' to him thinking he would turn and follow us. We have tried hiding (and still be able to see him from a spot) and waiting if he turns back . Oh yes....he does turn back, scans and fearlessly marches on his way - without caring if we are there or not. If he spots us, he would make this gesture with his hands which says 'come on you guys'. He also loves to listen to songs and excitedly joins us by saying 'pop' in 'pop goes the weasel' and 'down' in 'the grand old duke of york'.  His favorite place in the house is the bathroom. Nobody can use the bathroom without having to hear  his 'knock knock' on the door. I have figured out that if you hand him a sheet of toilet paper in the beginning, he would let you go in there for 2 minutes which he spends walking in the rest of the house and tearing it before coming back to the bathroom door to say 'knock knock'again. Its an absolute delight to watch him run, bending over, pulling the magnets off the fridge, dumping the boxes out of my kitchen drawer and to be with his 'bhai'. That's right, he calls Avi "bhai' and its his favorite word. He gets so excited to see Avi when we pick him up from the preschool. Yes, he blows him kisses but also smacks him on his head sometimes (we are working on the 'gentle touch').

Avi is 46 inches tall and Anurag thinks he would be reaching my height VERY SOON. He is enjoying his preschool and last week in parent-teacher meeting we were told that he is doing great. He can count up to 23 objects correctly and loves to talk. His favorite time is when Michael (guitarist) comes and plays for them. His favorite song currently is 'the grand old duke of york'. Its hilarious how he sings it without missing a beat or a word. Last week we were told by Avi's teacher what he said to her, 'Barack Obama is our president now and when I am 100 years old , I am going to write him a letter and invite him over to my house'.  She thought it was really funny. It is, and no surprise to me because when we go grocery shopping, he is always pointing to magazines on the checkout counter saying, 'look Mom, there is Barack Obama - our president. I want to call him and meet him". Sure dude, even I do !

His love for reading continues and his imagination can take him anywhere from caves of Oklahoma with bats and spiders and to outer space in his rocket ship where 'he' is an alien. Sometimes he is a superhero and rescuing people and sometimes a robot. His favorite color to draw is black and his interpretation of abstract art is usually airplanes, rockets, storms and caves. 

I've been missing our family in India a lot and I know they miss us too. This piece is specially for them to get an idea of what Avi and Neev are doing right now. Love to everyone !

No comments: